Hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) – case report
Keywordshemolytic uremic syndrome, kidney, anemia
Introduction Hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) is characterized by hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia and acute renal failure. In 90% of children, HUS most often develops after an intestinal infection caused by verotoxin-producing E. coli. The remaining 10%, without any preceding diarrhea, are diagnosed with atypical HUS.
Aim The objective of the study was the presentation the case of two patient with hemolytic uremic syndrome.
Results The case report concerns two patients diagnosed with haemolytic uremic syndrome. Both cases shared many symptoms. Initially gastroenteritis, dehydration followed by thrombocytopenia, renal failure and anemia. These are examples of a typical hemolytic uremic syndrome. Many additional tests were carried out, including morphology, urinalysis, blood chemistry, but the final diagnosis was made on the basis of the clinical picture and the triad of symptoms typical of HUS.
Conclusions Hemolytic uremic syndrome is a disease that threatens the life of a child. It is important to recognize symptoms as soon as possible and begin treatment to prevent dangerous complications.
Ziółkowska H, Leszczyńska B, Mizerska-Wasiak M, Krzemień G. Zespół hemolityczno-mocznicowy u dzieci w latach 1971–2010; doświadczenia jednego ośrodka dializ dla dzieci. [Hemolytic-uremic syndrome in children 1971–2010; a single pediatric dialysis center experience]. Pediatria Polska. 2012; 87(1), 33–40. Polish
Żurowska A. Zespół hemolityczno-mocznicowy u dzieci i młodzieży. [The hemolytic-uremic syndrome in children]. Forum Nefrologiczne. 2012; 5: 283–288. Polish
Besbas N, Karpman D, Landau D, et al. European Paediatric Research Group for HUS. A classification of hemolytic uremic syndrome and thrombotic thrombocy-topenic purpura and related disorders. Kidney Int. 2006; 70: 423–443.
Adamczuk D, Bieroza I, Roszkowska-Blaim M. Zespół hemolityczno—mocznicowy. [Hemolytic – Uremic Syndrome]. Borgis- Nowa Pediatria. 2009; 2: 63–67.
Zipfel P, Mache C, Muller D, Licht C, Wigger M, Skerka C for the European DEAP- HUS Study Group. DEAP-HUS: Deficiency of CFHR plasma proteins and autoantibody positive form of haemolytic uremic syndrome. Pediatr Nephrol. 2010; 25: 2009–2019.
Jander A, Krakowska A, Tkaczyk M. Atypowy zespół hemolityczno-mocznicowy – opis przypadku. [A typical hemolytic uremic syndrome- case report]. Medycyna Ogólna i Nauki o Zdrowiu. 2013, Tom 19, Nr 1, 75–77. Polish
Scheiring J, Andreoli S, Zimmerhackl L. Treatment and outcome of Shiga-toxin-associated hemolytic uremic syn-drome. Pediatr. Nephrol. 2008; 23: 1749–1760.
How to Cite
The periodical offers access to content in the Open Access system under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0
Number of views and downloads: 364
Number of citations: 0