About the Journal
Focus and Scope
Torun International Studies (TIS) is an annual, open access scholary journal published by Scientia et Progressus Fundationa in co-operation with Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń (Poland), Vytautas Magnus University (Lithuania) and Sulkhan-Saba Orbeliani University (Georgia). TIS acts as a forum for the exchange of ideas and scientific discussions on international issues. TIS primarily focuses on the region of Central and Eastern Europe, whilst also analyzing other regions of the world. Original, previously unpublished works in the field of broadly understood international relations are accepted for publication.
The thematic scope of the journal covers issues in the field of:
- international security (e.g. external threats to state security, the international security system, international armed conflicts, military cooperation between states, global cyber threats and others),
- international economic and financial relations (e.g. international flows of production factors, international trade, economic integration, activities of global corporations and others),
- issues of international law (international agreements, foreign service, human rights, international organizations, international disputes and others),
- international political relations (foreign policy and its conditions, international institutions, diplomacy, states and nations, international political order and others)
- as well as geopolitical issues.
Preferences of international teams and authorships of scholars affiliated with foreign (in relation to the Editorial) scientific centers are preferred.
All Publisher papers are provided with DOI numbers, increasing their "visibility" in the world of science. The publication is indexed in many well-known databases, such as ERIH PLUS, CEJSH, DOAJ, IC and others, which further increases the visibility of texts published in TIS. All published papers are available in the open system on the Academic Magazine Platform of the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń in the form of files in pdf format. Files are automatically transferred to many indexing databases, which promotes quick dissemination of information on published articles.
The editors implemented widely recognized procedures to safeguard the originality of scientific publications and applied security techniques. The authors submit a statement on the authenticity of the text has been sent when uploading the file to the platform. In addition, the journal is indexed in the CrossCheck database, a CrossRef initiative, to prevent scientific plagiarism.
The editors use OJS – Open Journal Systems for management and publishing support. All Authors should submit their texts through the Academic Journals Platform - Akademicka Platforma Czasopism. Authors should to include the ORCID digital identificr for researches and contributors in their user profile.
Publishing in "Torun International Studies" is free of charge.
Peer Review Process
- Author / Authors who submitted the text for publication, expressly consents to subjecting it to a process of review.
- Texts are subjected to a preliminary internal evaluation in terms of formal and substantive themes by the editors.
- Reviews, discussion, sources and surveys are reviewed by members of the editorial board of the TIS.
- Texts are anonymously reviewed with the use of "double-blind review," i.e., the reviewers do not know who is the author; the author does not know who reviews the work.
- Reviews are carried by two external experts with a doctorate degree at least (External experts do not represent the scientific unit affiliated by the author of the publication)
- Between the reviewers and the authors cannot exist a conflict of interest: kinship to the second degree, marriage, relationships of subordination of professional, scientific cooperation in the past two years.
- Reviewers must not use the knowledge about the manuscript prior to publication.
- The review must contain an unambiguous conclusion for the admission of the article to printing or its rejection; each author is informed about the results of the review.
- Author enhances the article in accordance with the recommendations of the reviewer
- Reviewer, after making the suggested corrections, again gives the opinion on the text.
- The correspondence is carried out by the secretary of the journal.
The editors introduced procedures preventing "ghostwriting" and "guest authorship"
Review form for download
Formal aspects to refuse to publish the article:
- Demonstrating that the text is characterized by too large percentage of borrowings.
- Lack of the originality of the text or when the article (or its extensive fragments) has already been published in another journal.
- Failure to use by the Author of the most current literature and sources.
- Methodological errors.
The formal aspects of the acceptance of the article for publication:
- The explicit consent of reviewers for the publication of the text.
- Taking into account of all the comments of reviewers and editors regarding the contents of the article.
Open Access Policy
The journal offers access to the contents in the open access system on the principles of non-exclusive license Creative Commons (CC BY-ND 3.0).
In the interest of ensuring the highest quality of all published scientific papers, Editors, Thematic Editors and the Scientific Council of the journal “Torun International Studies” at all stages of their work with the scientific texts submitted shall act as safeguards of compliance with intellectual property rights, reliability of the scientific research presented in the TIS and shall comply with the ethical standards set by the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE). These standards shall provide the final and indisputable rules governing the process of reviewing and editing the submitted scientific texts. Editors, Thematic Editors and the Scientific Council of the journal “Torun International Studies” declare that their observance of these rules is not affected by any relationship with the corporate world. In connection with the above, the following responsibilities of all parties involved in the reviewing and publication process are hereby set out:
I. OBLIGATIONS OF REVIEWERS
Reviewers of all scientific papers submitted to the journal “Torun International Studies” undertake to:
1. Reliably and objectively review the scientific papers presented to them, in accordance with ethical standards and refraining from any form of unscientific criticism;
2. Make every effort to increase the resulting scholarly value of scientific articles reviewed by them;
3. Refrain from writing a review if the field of science covered by a given scientific paper submitted for review falls outside the academic competences of the reviewer in question and/or whenever there is a conflict of interest between the Author and the Reviewer;
4. Inform the Editorial staff of the journal of any violation of ethical standards in the peer-reviewed scientific papers, including primarily plagiarism and auto-plagiarism;
5. Comply with confidentiality rules applicable to all information related to the reviewing process.
II. OBLIGATIONS OF AUTHORS
Authors of all scientific papers submitted to the “Torun International Studies” shall:
1. Provide a declaration that all data contained in scientific papers submitted by them are original and true;
2. Confirm that the submitted scientific article has not been sent for peer-review as part of preparation for publication in another scientific journal;
3. Collaborate with the Editorial staff of the journal as concerns exchange of information on the review and editing process for the submitted scientific articles;
4. Disclose full information pertaining to place(s) of prior publication of a scientific text if it is a reprint in whole or in part;
5. Disclose the sources of financing of scientific research whose results are presented in the scientific papers submitted;
6. Provide the full list of authors of any article submitted;
7. Obtain required permissions and consent for publication of other elements of the scientific article covered by copyright (such as illustrations, photographs);
8. Reveal information about any potential conflict of interest that may arise during the process of peer-review and editing of the submitted scientific papers.
9. An Author’s declaration of will for their paper to be published in the journal “Torun International Studies” shall be taken as tantamount to providing the declaration and confirmation referred to in para.1 and 2 above.
III. OBLIGATIONS OF EDITORIAL STAFF
Members of the Editorial staff of the “Torun International Studies” undertake to:
1. Make decisions about publication of all submitted scientific texts taking into account only their scientific value, regardless of origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, citizenship and political view of their Authors;
2. Make objective decisions about accepting scientific articles for publication and communicating them to Authors of scientific papers in question along with justification of the decisions;
3. Publish the reviewing rules of the scientific texts on the journal's website;
4. Maintain complete anonymity in the process of review of scientific papers submitted and not disclose the contents of reviews provided as part of that process to any third parties;
5. Withdraw from the role of editor for a scientific text if there is a conflict of interest with its Author;
6. Inform the Authors of any suggested changes in their scientific papers, with the exception of those pertaining to layout and/or identified in proofreading.
Lena Gumenjuk (Kiev, Ukraina)
Andrei Kazakevich (Kaunas, Lithuania - Minsk, Belarus)
Aliaksei Lastouski (Minsk, Belarus)
Igor Sribriak (Kiev, Ukraina)
Rimantas Miknys (Vilnius, Lithuania)
Lesya Dorosh (Lviv, Ukraine)
List of Reviewers
Ryszard Michalski (Torun, Poland)
Nikolay Radulov (Sofia, Bulgaria)
Ivan Todorov (Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria)
Grzegorz Górniewicz (Bydgoszcz, Poland)
Rafał Drewniak (Bydgoszcz, Poland)
Oleg Mikhalev (Voronezh, Russia)
Mohamed Khlafalla Omar (Tripoli, Libya)
Bogusław Pacek (Kraków, Poland)
Maryna Bessonova (Zaporizhia, Ukraine)
Gökhan Güneysu (Eskişehir, Turkey)
Natalia Yakovenko (Lviv, Ukraine)
Sergey Chirun (Kemerovo, Russia)
Rafał Lizut (Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine)
Anna Visvizi (Coventry, UK)
Ivan Monolatii (Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine)
Giedrius Cesnakas (Kaunas, Lihuania)
Mihaela Simionescu (Buharest, Romania)
Halyna Mishchuk (Rivne, Ukraine)
Abstracting and Indexing Services
Digitization of scientific papers published in “Torun International Studies” to ensure open access to this content on the Web – element financed under the 697/P-DUN/2018 Agreement from the funds for popularization of science and research findings of the Polish Minister of Science and Higher Education.
Information Matrix for the Analysis of Journals
International Scientific Partners
Vytautas Magnus University, Faculty of Political Science and Diplomacy (Lithuania)
Sulkhan-Saba Orbeliani University, Business and Tourism Faculty (Georgia)
The journal does not charge fees for publishing articles.
The journal was established in 2007 as a magazine of the then Institute of International Relations, University of Nicolaus Copernicus.The Journal was reorganized after the creation in 2009 the Faculty of Political Science and International Studies. By 2012 the yearbook appeared in the Polish language (old ISSN 1689-8168). Since 2013, the original articles, reviews and reports are published only in English.